Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"There's a frood who really knows where his towel is"

A little while ago I bought my lovely wife a towel. And, yes, it's a much more thoughtful gift than it sounds.

I ordered it from ebay in the uk and had it sent all the way over here. Because, you see, my wife is from England and I thought it would be perfect for her. It couldn't be used by myself or the boys -- we're much too Canadian and it is very much "Mummy's".

Tonight, after she went swimming, I saw it hanging downstairs to dry.

It is, if I may say, a lovely present. Very British and perfect for holidays.

But then, when I saw it, the pun struck me.


It's to be used by the beach or by the pool when you want to ensure that no one steals the perfect spot and the perfect view that you've found for yourself.

But I then twigged to the fact that it describes that calm, cool British attitude. It quietly suggests that this is the towel of not a crazy person looking for a wild time, but instead, it is the towel of someone dignified, calm and at peace with themselves.

"Reserved".

Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment