Friday, March 12, 2010

The Hockey Scarecrow

I sometimes hang my hockey equipment outside.

And to be honest, it's not as romantic as it sounds.

I would like to say I put the equipment outside because there is a definite need to air it out, but, being a guy, I have never felt an overwhelming urge to freshen it up. I could, to be embarrassingly honest, just leave it alone and let it grow more and more disgusting and eventually cast it aside and buy knew equipment. Much in the same way that bachelors are eventually forced to buy new dishes.

More than anything the equipment gets sent outside because it's good for peace in the family. When my wife says something along the lines of "Wow, does that ever stink" it's a good idea to actually do something about it.

(It's a none too subtle hint along the lines of a co-worker saying to you "So, when did you run out of deodorant?" -- if you do nothing, you risk the other person taking action into their own hands.)

This morning, when I brought the equipment in to avoid the rain, Zed asked if it was outside to act as a scarecrow. I thought that was an interesting image -- my equipment guarding the backyard against aggressive birds and raccoons that were interested in scoring on our house -- and I should have asked Zed to elaborate. Maybe tonight I will.

Instead I explained why it was exiled to the great outdoors and asked if I had ever shown them how sweaty my socks are after I take off my skates. I thought, y'know, just from a strictly scientific point of view that they might find it fascinating to see how drenched with perspiration one can get after a game.

I explained to them that "It's interesting, but disgusting."

And with very little hesitation Gee laughed and replied "I don't like those two combinations."

Now, one would think after years of reading Robert Munsch that the idea of some truly smelly socks would make them at least a little bit curious to touch the real thing. But that is apparently not the case.

Apparently 'interesting' would be fine. 'Disgusting' would be fine. But put the two words together and my boys lose interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment