Monday, May 3, 2010

The Book of Love

Back when I was a teenager, a friend told me that my parents were unusual because he could see that romance existed between them.

Now, granted, this was my mother's second marriage, but he was one hundred percent correct: we were surrounded by parents who rarely displayed any affection towards their partner or even showed enthusiasm for one another. Life had taken its toll on the relationships of most parents. And perhaps that was what had happened for my mom and dad, but in their second marriages both of my parents found partners who gave them a new outlook and a new zest for life.

Yes, I know: most teenagers see their parents as dried out old husks of wasted space who don't realize that their ancient ways are going the way of the dinosaur and that there are new exciting things in the world that they can't begin to understand and why don't you just let me do what I want and why can't you just leave me alone!!!!

... Ahem.

In some ways my parents and their new parents were inspiring. It was sad that divorce had been necessary, but it was amazing to see that there could still be energy, fun and romance when you get older. Through them we could see that romance wasn't something only young people could enjoy.

And I've been fortunate that I have inspiration in other people, too.

Our friends in Montreal, A & D, are wonderful people and a terrific couple. Oh I'm sure they have challenges and most certainly have their ups and down, but they admire and respect one another. They are far from being two peas in a pod and I can't ever remember them finishing one another's sentences or thoughts.

But they like each other. They tease each other. And they laugh together.

For those reasons (and many, many others) I always enjoy spending time with them. Because seeing the best in them gives me hope that my wife and I can be the same way in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment