Sunday, January 6, 2013

Dragons' farewell to 2012 (for Dan)

(This was to my hockey team at the tail end of last year.  Dan asked why I haven't written in awhile.  I can never recall whether "awhile" should be one word or two.  So, for Dan...)

My fellow Dragons:

Imagine the heartache and the tremendous sense of loss I felt yesterday when I dropped into my local steal-their-wi-fi Starbucks, only to discover that they had removed the comfy chair!

The comfy chair -- much coveted and much beloved -- gone from the Starbucks!  Replaced by a selection of much less comfortable, much less inviting chairs.

It was as if your favourite girl, she of the beautiful, quirky, crooked smile and gorgeous Grecian nose, had decided to have plastic surgery to correct nature's wonderful imperfection  and make her more common.


(Nuts, I gotta find out what time that comic book store in Barrie opens on Sundays.)

GENTLEMEN...

Sunday night we start the long goodbye as we bid adieu to 2012 and play our last game of the year.

Oh yeah, sure-sure, we gather again in 2013, on my birthday no less, but Sunday night is the last time we will do battle on this side of the new year.

(Because if the comic store opens at noon, the boys and I might be able to sneak a visit in before we head up to my folks. There's nothing I *need*, but there might be something I *want*.)

We will take to the ice to battle the Heat. And I'm torn between an analogy of (a) dowsing their flame, (b) chilling them out, (c) turning up the heat on the Heat, or (d) showing the Heat what it really means to be on fire.

I think I'm gonna stick with the last one. Cuz, holy flip floppetty frig -- and I do not want to jinx it (I really, really don't) -- but we are on fire!  My fellow Dragons, a four game winning streak?  Ummm, that is just deliciously delightfully darn great. Comment tu dis, holy flip floppetty frack!

(Y'see, my lovely wife isn't big on making additional stops on the way to someplace. She just wants to get there, and it stresses her out when we don't go directly to where we are going. Versus me, I figure there is often/usually/always time for one more quick stop. This brings me great pleasure, being able to squeeze one more thing into the trip; she, however, refers to this as "Death by bookstore.")

The game is at Rinx 1. And it is a late night game. So it is 100% understandable if you are unable to attend given the seasonal shenanigans that tend to occur this time of year. Just let us know which way the wind is blowing.

As for me, I'm 50/50 whether I will be able to attend. My lovely wife is in Montreal for the weekend, but my Sunday consists of driving up to Bracebridge for a late family lunch, leaving the family get-together early in order to drive back to Newmarket and grab my hockey equipment, driving down to Toronto to meet my wife at the train station, and then driving to the Rinx to play hockey while my best girl cheers us on.

Oh, and I gotta try to squeeze a visit into a comic book store, too.

Therefore if the planets align, I will be at the game. If they do not align -- well, at least the Mayan calendar was wrong.

So...

Please print out the team list from the truenorthhockey website in case I cannot attend.

But I do hope to see you there, for the final game of 2012.

All the best,
Kevin.

No comments:

Post a Comment