Friday, June 25, 2010

Six months today

The weirdest dang thing...

This morning I got the most infectious of holiday tunes stuck in my head: it has a slow intro of a couple of lines that mention famous characters, but it all acts as a prelude as the actual song kicks into speed and the title character makes his appearance...

"You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen,
Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen.
But do you know
The most famous reindeer of all..."

Stuck. In. My. Head.



And it wasn't even the big bang part of the song that made its way into my head (the screaming "RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER!" part that children love). Instead, what got stuck in my noggin was the quiet, slow introduction of the other characters who barely make a re-appearance in the song. Once they are all listed one-by-one in the song's opening lines, the are relegated to minor parts and become barely worth mentioning as they become "all of the other reindeer".

Nevertheless...

Stuck. In. My. Head.

And later, after the song's lyrics had wormed their way into my head, I saw the date, and it hit me: Today is June 25 and it's six months to Christmas.

Perhaps it was mentioned on the radio as I was half-awake this morning and the date staggered its way into my not very alert subconscious. But even if that is the case and someone on the radio mentioned the festivities that are exactly half a year away, it's bizarre that my brain then made the leap to those lyrics.

On top of that, I'd say that it is "Jingle Bells" that's my favorite holiday song. "Rudolph" is more of a kids' tune where a youngster is recognized as having great potential and hidden talents; "Jingle Bells" has a hint of romance and adventure mixed with its holiday joy.

Nevertheless, for this morning, it was Rudolph who ruled. Six months early exactly to the day.

Weirdest dang thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment